Sharps and Infectious Waste
10685NAT Safe handling of Sharps and Infectious Waste
10685NAT Safe Handling of Sharps and Infectious Waste courses are run in Group Class either in our training rooms, or your Workplace. Safe Act Pty Ltd prides ourselves on our high level of training, however making is easy for everyone.
Safe Act Pty Ltd runs this course for most Councils and Government Depts. throughout N.S.W., ACT, Qld and Vic.
10685NAT Safe handling of Sharps and Infectious Waste course is intended to provide participants with a range of knowledge, skills, generic and specific competencies to assist in performing their job role safely in areas in which sharps or infectious waste are present.
If you work or volunteer as a council ranger, public worker, in the parks and city service industry, as a domestic or commercial cleaner, medical staff, first aid officer, waste and recycling collection and processing staff, auto-repair and auto-towing service operator or in public transport then this course is a must for you.
When your job role requires you to regularly or occasionally handle sharps and infectious waste, or are responsible for managing public areas were at risk of injury from incidents involving needle-sticks and human waste, you should understand and be able to do so avoiding risk of injury or contamination.
This course teaches you the ability to implement controls for potential hazards related to sharps and infectious waste, safely dispose of sharps and infectious waste and complete relevant workplace documentation.
This course is intended to provide participants with a range of knowledge, skills, generic and specific competencies to assist in safely performing the following job role(s):
- Council Rangers
- Parks and City Service
- Domestic and Commercial Cleaners
- Housing Organisations
- Medical Staff and First Aid Officers (remote areas e.g. mine sites)
- Waste and Recycling Collection and Processing Staff
- Auto-Repair and Tow Truck Operators
- Transport & Rail Maintenance Staff
Provider of Training and Assessment
Important information prior to enrolment
Unit Being Delivered
The following unit(s) will be awarded to successful participants in this course. The certificate will be issued by Allens Training Pty Ltd RTO 90909.
- 10685NAT – Course in Safe Handling of Sharps and Infectious Waste
- SAFSIW0001A – Remove sharps and infectious waste safely
To view full unit details please visit www.training.gov.au
We run our classes at the 54 Cessnock Rd, Weston or in the workplace
Course Duration (face to face)
- Face to Face –4 hours – full face to face course.
- Blended delivery – 3 hours.
- Online delivery with face to face Practical assessment – N/A.
- Refresher training – 3 hours
Learners Rights, Responsibilities and Support, including Complaints
Please note that enrolment to this course is made with Allens Training Pty Ltd RTO 90909. Please refer to the student handbook located on the RTO website https://www.allenstraining.com.au/students/student-handbook.aspx for all details relating to rights and responsibilities including complaints and appeals.
Course Fees and Payments
- Please refer to our booking calendar for individual course fees.
- Refund and fee protection policy – Please refer to the student handbook.
- Payment Terms – Payment for individual participants is upfront, group booking payment terms are based on agreement between the client and service provider.
- Group Prices – We do have Group Prices for up to ten, fifteen or up to twenty participants phone for a quote
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks. These are detailed in the sections following.
Language, literacy and numeracy skills to read and interpret policy, procedural and legislative documents.
Oral and written communication skills to clarify/follow instructions and complete report documentation
Physically implement hazard control, use personal protective equipment and infection prevention, apply safe manual handling techniques, handle and dispose of sharps and infectious waste using available resources and equipment.
Pre-course study: Students may be required to undertake online pre-course work prior to attending the face to face session depending on the course delivery mode.
Online study: Students must have access to a computer, smartphone, tablet or other electronic device with access to the internet to complete the online/ pre-course studies.
Practical scenario demonstrations
- Scenario 1 – basic disposal of a single exposed sharp:
- Scenario 2 – complex disposal of multiple exposed and hidden sharps
- Scenario 3 – disposal of infectious waste
Documentation – Completion of 2 risk assessment forms (1 each for scenario 2 & 3).
Verbal questioning and explanations – These 5 oral questions must be answered by each student.
Theory assessment – A written exam consisting of 15 multiple choice questions to be completed at the end of the training session. This can be conducted as an open book assessment and students are able to refer to their Learners resource material. The student must successfully answer all questions.
Call us NOW! 1300 712 220